Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Unexpectedly Good Rom-Com

Killers

Starring: Katherine Heigl, Ashton Kutcher, Tom Selleck, Catharine O'Hara

Rating: PG-13

Score: 3/4  


Okay, I know what you're thinking: How good could it be? I personally did not expect Ashton Kutcher to be able to pull off anything but the good-for-nothing goofball. Don't get me wrong, he's pulled off that role fabulously and made great money too.  But this time, he wasn't the goofball.  He was the more serious 'don't-worry-I'll-save-you' hero. And it really worked for him.

I thought this movie was going run like this: Katharine Heigl meets Ashton, they fall in love, she finds out he is in fact an agent for the government, she screams for forty-five minutes, they make up and defeat the bad guy. No big deal.

Well, some of that is true. Katharine Heigl's character, Jen does spend a lot of time squealing and has to be told to calm down several times, but can you really blame her? We can't all be Angelina Jolie and have guns hidden in our bra that we pull out and blast the bad guy with in 2.5 seconds.  I would say the best character in the entire film was Jen's alcohol-loving mother, played wonderfully by Catharine O'Hara. One of the best scenes is seeing her drink a bloody Mary at breakfast from a glass you could fit a bowling ball in.
There's a twist at the end that I have to say made the ending fall flat for me, I was sitting there going, "Really? You're going to do that to me?!" But all in all, it was highly enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment