Sunday, February 6, 2011

An Addicting Mini-series

Downton Abbey


Starring: Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Elizabeth McGovern


Scoring: 4/4


Airing: Sundays, 9pm


Length: 5 episodes, each is 90 minutes


A Masterpiece Classic hit! When I first heard about this I thought it was going to be a slow period piece; I would love it of course but all the same I would still look at the clock thinking, 'It's been a long time..." Instead, I find myself looking at the clock thinking 'No! There are only a few minutes left!'


Downton Abbey follows both the family above stairs and the people below stairs.  I can't describe the servants as a family because of all the backbiting and plotting that seems to occur on a daily basis.  The series begins with a tragedy, the Titanic has just sunk taking with it the heir to Downton Abbey and his son.  The heir was a cousin of Lord Grantham; because all of Lord Grantham's children are daughters, none of them can inherit the estate.  So, the new heir is a third cousin named Matthew, a lawyer (shocking!) in Manchester who neither wants nor appreciates Downton until some time has passed and he comes to appreciate its beauty.
Lord Grantham is the lord of the manor, his wife Cora is the lady and they have three daughters: Mary, Edith, and Sybil. There is a tense rivalry between Mary and Edith while Sybil is interested in politics and the changing world around her. 

This is so addicting! I was swept up in the first few minutes and quickly came to have my favorite characters.  There is a second season in production.  

No comments:

Post a Comment