Thursday, August 5, 2010

Julia Jumps In: Firefly

Something New!

I've asked my friend Julia to write a review for me. I hope she'll continue doing so, so that we can shake it up and get some new writings in here.


Hi there! Abbie asked me to write a review for her blog as a guest. I said "Yeah, of course!" After awhile I started to wonder 'What in the Sam heck am I going to write about!' So here it is: A review with my mind not made up.




So, back in 2002 was a show called Firefly. It went off the air after 11 episodes. This is due to a lack of publicity, making it difficult for the series to get a big following. It is a sci-fi, but don't condemn it just yet. It was first described to me as "cowboys in space". I know at first I was like "No way, I'm not watching that.' But then I did watch it. Although the description sounds ridiculous, it is somewhat accurate. The heroes remind you of old cowboys. Like Josey Wilkes ("The Outlaw Josey Wilkes" 1973). Like those old cowboys the main characters may not be on the right side of the law but they are still the good guys. Everything to them is black and white, there is no gray. But the lines are drawn by them not the government. Aboard their spaceship they are desperate but they stick to their code of honor.

The series is set five hundred years into the future, when the "World That Was" (Earth) can no longer sustain human life. Man then reaches out to other solar systems. The cool thing is that everyone changes from their native language to Chinese.... Cool. Huh? Because the human population grew too big (That made me laugh.) Once our race found a new planet we settled in. The "Inner Planets" formed a unified government to become "civilized". In other words: order, restrictions, obedience, and communism were accepted with a smile. The outer planets held a different approach. They became as self dependant as they could. The people kept to themselves and were less civilized, much like the Old West. Inevitably, the two sides went to war. The power hungry Alliance vs. the Brown Coat Resistance. The Resistance lost.


The losing side is where we find our heroes. In order to escape the repressive government. Ex-Sgt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds and his second in command from the war, Zoe, buy a ship. The two build a band of loyal friends that become their crew. For an extra income they take on passengers which bring more excitement than the freedom loving crew would like. After their 11 episodes Firefly did end.




I strongly suggest you rent the box set of the series and watch this adventure series unfold. If I got you hooked then you will want to watch the movie Serenity.



Serenity is the movie that finishes the series off. You finally get the answers to your questions, and everything adds up. They connected everything! It was a brilliant ending to an already amazing idea. It's filled with adventure and hysterical one liners. But seriously watch the show before the movie; it's just better that way. Trust me.


Because it can't get much better then two war veterans, a hilarious pilot, an Alliance supporting whore, a preacher, a mercenary, an endearing mechanic, a doctor, his crazy sister (both are wanted fugitives), and a fed.
And don't forget the dinosaurs and monsters.


There you go a T.V. series and a movie! And if you want my pick for books check out Patricia Briggs. She writes urban fantasies. They're everything Twilight isn't, so they're worth reading. Check out the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha Omega series.




Julia signing out, and signing off....


Julia and her writings can be found at http://julia-gilkeson.blogspot.com/ and http://whenyoulistenyouhear.blogspot.com/  Check her out and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment